Hondo Texas is a city 40 miles west of San Antonio Metropolitan Statistical area on HWY 90 and the county seat of Medina County, Texas, United States. According to the 2010 Census, the population was 8,803.
The city was originally inhabited by the Coahuiltecan Native Americans and then later settled by the peoples of Germany, Belgium and Mexico. Named Hondo meaning deep in Spanish the city became the county seat in 1892 for Medina county. Many family-owned businesses, farms, and ranches are still owned by descendants of the non-indigenous families.
The U.S. Army built an air field in the town in 1942 to train new pilots; at one time the largest air navigation school in the world, Hondo Army Airfield trained over 14,000 navigators for service during World War II before closing in 1946.
Hondo welcome sign has become one of the cities famous slogans "WELCOME, This is Gods country don't drive thru it like hell", later the revision changing the word "thru-to-through", and adding the word please as a little Texan hospitality.
Established in 1881 on the Southern Pacific Railroad, Hondo was incorporated on May 14, 1942. Primarily an agriculture/agri-business center with some light industrial activity, The City straddles US Highway 90 and is bordered on the east by State Highway 173. Mexico is less than two hours driving time.